Monday, October 1, 2012

Get Organized Week!

Today marks the start of Get Organized Week.

If there's one thing I have learned about organization, it's that no one system works for everyone. I don't know about you, but my systems change constantly. When something stops working, I look into it and change it.

Yesterday I was flattered to hear someone ask if they could see my binder, and I had to ask, which one?

I have three. But I also run three different "businesses" not including my regular day job. the regular day job, since I only work on it when I am at my desk, is organized using a combination of an online program called "SalesForce" (which I love but it is more than Bubbly Creations needs. Right now.) and a "tickle file", one of those brown accordion files I use to keep track of what happens on what day.

My Reno Roller Girls Binder is my oldest folder purchased when I took over the Merchandise for RRG and more recently expanded to handle my duties as secretary. I didn't seem to need it when I was the executive director but now, I am almost never without it. I use it to track Fresh Meat and the different committees which answer to me within the organization. It's a full size binder with a pocket for index cards, pens, and anything else I don't think I can live without. I think this one is going to evolve again soon, but I am still settling onto my new position.

My "Control Journal" has evolved from The Flylady System. It's my personal binder and is the adorable half size one you can get at Staples. It holds my personal calendar, a tab for every room and area of my house with a list of what needs to be done in each room (from painting ceilings to cleaning the carpets) There are coupons in there and other things I might need. It's open on my desk at all times so that I can refer to it or jot things down as they surface from the depths of my brain. When I am at home, it tends to be open on my multipurpose table - a small folding table that is both a TV tray and crafting spot since I don't have a dining room table and I like to create and watch TV. I live in a weird household, I know.

And the Bubbly Creations folder. It's the same size but keeps track of ideas and processes for Bubbly Creations. It's the newest of my binders, having expanded beyond my control journal. It's definitely a work in progress.

All three binders are with me most of the time. They make for a pretty heavy bag, but without them, I would have to keep all that information in my brain and since I forgot where I put my purse 3 weeks ago, that just isn't acceptable.

How do you keep track of your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment