Monday, August 24, 2009

OH! that's what I am missing!

I am so fortunate to have found, long ago, Donna Maria and her Indie Beauty Network. I am exceptionally disappointed in myself that I have not partaken in her wisdom more over the years.

She posted this morning this: http://www.indiebusinessblog.com/2009/08/23/are-you-planning-or-playing-your-small-business/

And reminded me that I have lost sight of the big picture because I have been focusing on the little goals.

when I was a sales consultant with a large, multinational cosmetics company, there were many tools that my director gave me in order to help me succeed. I had to fax these to her every week. Now I am the head of my own company (damn right I am!!) and I am finding that some of these tools would be very helpful to me.

One was a daily planner showing every hour of every day that allowed me to mark the time I spent on each of my activities thorughout the day. This showed me how much time each week I could spend building my business. While I didn't, for them, I am far more motivated to buld MY business of which I am the head honcho (damn right I am!!) I was able to see that I spent about an hour each day reading the newspaper. I was able to force myself to set aside time for my boyfriend. My life is different now, I will be setting time for my dog instead of a boyfriend and for Roller Derby instead of the newspaper, but I will also show myself just how much time I have to dedicate to Bubbly Creations.

Another tool was a poster board of goals. If I wanted the car, I needed to paste a picture of it on the board. I don't really think that will work in this situation, but maybe I can somehow illustrate where I want to go. Get focused on the big picture of what I want from my business instead of focusing on the little goals. The little goals will get me where I want to go, but aren't I going in circles if I don't have a destination?

The scary thing is, I don't know what my big picture looks like! I had better figure it out though!

No comments:

Post a Comment