Monday, September 12, 2011

The worst kind of correspondence

I had to send the worst kind of email today.

I took on a project that I thought I would be able to do a couple of months ago. Then, life went crazy.

I should expect my life to go crazy after all these years, but I don't. I think that if I plan things correctly, they will remain as planned. This is not the case. This is something I would really like to change.

The project was fairly simple, but, as time tends to do when you are busy, it went by far to quickly and before I knew it, my deadline was here and I still had not finished.

Today, I had to send the "I'm an A-Hole" letter.

There is nothing I can do to change what has happend, and in a small town such as the one I live in, this is a fantastic way to create a very bad reputation for yourself.

At this point, all I can do is apologize, return the materials, and take the butt chewing she is likely to give. She has been more than patient and understanding.

I know better than to take on more than I can handle and yet I consistantly do it, placing myself in the situation where I let myself and my customers down. This causes undue stress on both ends. I don't like to make promises I can't keep, and I don't like to disappoint people.

Remind me the next time I try to take on a side job that it's not a good idea. My cups already runnith over and when I add to that, I tend to end up all wet.

The rest of the story:
She's a saint. She has someone else who can make them and will contact that person. She offered to compensate me for my time but I refused, as her understanding is enough for me. Oy. That doesn't change that I shouldn't take on side jobs... I should concentrate on the jobs I have! Speaking of... ahem.

No comments:

Post a Comment