Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Who am I?

I frequently check the interviews on Etsy and Artfire about the people who are successfully running a craft based business from home. The ones that have made the leap and are doing what I would like to be doing.

It's scary. It's intimidating. It's ok.

THOSE people have travelled the world and lived in interesting places. (I rarely left California before I moved to Nevada) They have supportive husbands (if there's one of those hiding in my house, I have yet to find him). They started building the eiffel tower out of toothpicks when they were two. They have college degrees in design and art and live in seattle where they grow all their own organic veggies for the winter...

Well, they just aren't me.

If I were the discouragable type, I would feel discouraged. At two, I was busy chewing up the upholstery in my mom's car (see? I had a love of fabrics even then!) I was going to be an astronaut! (I'm still a little spacey...) I was going to be a scientist (all those chemistry sets. See? I liked experimenting with chemicals!) I was making happy faces with my food.

The point is, that sometimes I feel like I am nothing like those successful people busy making their dreams come true. I don't grow organic veggies, hell, I throw seeds in the garden box and try to remember to water. Sometimes my dog pees on people. How can I even compare?

I can't. Like everything I do, I have to do it my way. It might take me longer to get there, but I am enjoying the journey. And BC is not my life. Just like I stopped making Roller Derby my life because when it becomes all consuming, it's easy to forget to hang out with people and go outside to smell the flowers. I would like to continue to be a recovering workaholic. No desire to relapse.

I can be successful in my own way on my own time frame.

No comments:

Post a Comment